Welcome, and thanks for visiting our blog. Follow us as we explore this beautiful country and enjoy life's simple pleasures.


Sunday, 5/29/11: Steak, movie, and racin'

Wednesday we went over to Jim and Dee's for an excellent steak dinner.  We brought macaroni salad, potato salad, and one of Terri's homemade apple pies.  Sorry, I forgot to take pictures.  Jim fixed the steaks on his grill, while Dee made some beans.  Dee doesn't like steak, so she had a brat.  Everything was delicious.  After dinner, we went inside and visited some more and then watched an episode of The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson that they had recorded.

Thursday the four of us went to the movie theater nearby and saw "Pirates of the Caribbean, On Stranger Tides."  This is the fourth in the series.  Terri and I had only seen the first one, but Jim and Dee assured us that we could watch this one and not be lost.  We all enjoyed the movie.  It's been a long time since Terri and I have been to a movie, and we had forgotten how much we like to go.  After the movie, we took Jim and Dee out to our house.  I wanted to pick up the mail, and they wanted a tour of the house.  After that it was time for dinner, so we headed to El Azteca in Ashland for some Mexican food.  Terri and I have been going there for years, so we knew it was good.  We all enjoyed our food.

Saturday, after watching the weather,, and the speedway's website, Jim, Dee, and I went out to Virginia Motor Speedway in Jamaica, VA.  Terri isn't a race fan, so she elected to stay home.  We drove through some pretty heavy rain showers on the way.  Jim was keeping track of the weather on his Droid.  It wasn't raining when we arrived at the track, but the clouds were looking very ominous, so we stayed at the car and waited out the weather.  A large storm cell was headed our way from the south.  We got some pretty heavy rain, but it didn't last long.  Jim pointed out that this was the only area in Virginia that was getting rain.  I've been to this track many times and have a good sense of how they operate.  I knew that they would cancel the show if they didn't think they could get the track into shape.  By the way, this racetrack is a half-mile DIRT oval, so rain can be a real factor.  They did, in fact, get the track prepared for racing and got the show completed.  Because of the delay, the show ran a bit late, and we didn't get home until about 1:30 AM.  But it was worth it because it was a good night of racing, and we all had a good time.  By the way, if you ever go there, the bologna burgers are excellent.

Sunday was a day that Jim looks forward to every year.  There were three major car races on TV, and he watched all three of them. I watched most of them with a few breaks here and there.  Dee stopped over just after lunchtime, and she, Terri, and I sat outside and chatted for a while.  Then later in the evening Terri and I stopped over at their place for a while.  We visited some more and watched part of the NASCAR COKE 600 on TV.  After about an hour or so, Terri and I headed back home.

Jim and Dee will be leaving tomorrow, Monday, to head north.  We've had a very special and enjoyable time with them.  It was so much fun getting to know them better, going to places, doing things, and meeting together with other RV'ers.  Terri and I look forward to meeting up with both of them again in the future.  Of course, we'll be keeping up with them through their blog.  Thank you, Jim and Dee, for stopping by and spending some time with us.  We'll really miss you two after you leave.


  1. What a great blog. Thanks for all the driving and all the sightseeing places. We'll meet up again, in the meantime, we miss you already. Thanks so very much!

  2. I would have had to pass on the race but, bologna burgers? Never heard of such a thing, but would absolutely, positively try it! Is that a VA thing?